What is Animal Law?
Animal law is any legal issue that involves animals. More specifically, it is a combination of case law and statutes in which animals are an important factor. Laws involving animals include companion animals, farm animals, animals used in research and entertainment, and wildlife.
Animal law issues encompass a broad spectrum of topics and affect most traditional areas of the law – including tort, contract, criminal and constitutional law. Examples include:
- Animal Cruelty
- Dog and Cock Fighting
- Dangerous Dog or Responsible Owner laws
- Animal custody disputes in divorce
- Veterinary malpractice cases
- Housing disputes involving “no pets” policies and breed discrimination laws
- Damages cases involving the wrongful death or injury to a companion animal
- Enforceable trusts for companion animals